How does your media product represent particular social groups?
The target audience for my magazine is 15 to 25 year olds, who are interested in music, both current and upcoming. I also aim to appeal to people who want to find out about their favourite artists or band. My magazine would be aimed at 15-25 year olds because they are the most likely to read this sort of magazine, and to attend gigs, which is a main section of a music magazine; especially indie/rock. This age group also has the highest percentage of people who listen to music, but the lowest percentage of people who buy magazines, this is important statistics as it tells me I need to focus on marketing my magazine to the correct audience and give them something unique to get them back into buying magazines rather than using technology such as the internet and iphones.
My magazine, Indiependence, will appeal to individuals in the ABC1 social grade as they are likely to have an interest in indie music, as well as being able to afford the magazine on a weekly basis. There is a lot of pressure on individuals to conform to the way that other people think, especially between the ages of 15-25 as a majority of the target audience will attend a high school, college or university. Through having a desire to fit in and be liked, people are likely to conform to how their friends think. Indiependence is a way for them to almost escape from this conformist world, and focus on something that they truly like themselves.
The target audience is both male and female because they will both be interested in the genre of music. However I realised that boys are usually more likely to buy music magazines, so I decided I should include feature to appeal to a more female artists to make sure I appeal to both genders have done this by making the main article about a female, Beth George, this way females have somebody they can relate to and can take inspiration from. The types of people that will read my magazine are Aspirers and Individualists because they would have an interest or a passion in music and are likely to stand out from the crowd rather than blending in with the majority.
I found that the problems with genres of music, is that it leads to stereotypes, this often leads to people conforming to what the majority like rather than being an individual. For example, a person who listens to rock music is stereotyped as being depressed and walking around being very pessimistic and wearing all black. Also a person who listens to Hip Hop or R&B is a 'Gangster', wears tracksuits and wants to be the next rapper. I think that stereotypes give a wrong impression of people, and it can have a negative effect on the magazine industry. I have tried to avoid this by promoting each individual of my magazine positively. Although my magazine is an Indie/Rock magazine, I have included artist from other genres as well so that it can also appeal to a wider audience and to avoid stereotypes from having a negative effect. I have included artists from the like Jessie J, Coldplay, Nirvana, Pendulum and Florence and the Machine. This is a mixture of both artists and genre which will appeal to a wider section of people, although the main focus is of course indie/rock.
After all my research into target audiences, I tried to incorporate relevant aspects of the genre into my magazine. I also incorporated an aspect of the Rock genre into my magazine, due to both the Indie and Rock genre often being confused with one another. Starting with my model, I dressed her in outfits for our three photo shoots. In the first photo shoot, she was dressed in black leggings with a black vest top with red lipstick; this gave her a more edgy look which will appeal to the audience who listen to the Rock genre. I also used a variety of props in this shoot, for example a glitter and a mask, to make her seem mysterious. I took inspiration from artists such a Florence and the Machine, as her quirky style appeals to a lot of my target audience. The body language my model use through the first shoot made her appear confident and powerful, as well as devoted to her music, this will appeal to my audience as they will see her as a role model, aspiring to be like her.
The target audience for my magazine is 15 to 25 year olds, who are interested in music, both current and upcoming. I also aim to appeal to people who want to find out about their favourite artists or band. My magazine would be aimed at 15-25 year olds because they are the most likely to read this sort of magazine, and to attend gigs, which is a main section of a music magazine; especially indie/rock. This age group also has the highest percentage of people who listen to music, but the lowest percentage of people who buy magazines, this is important statistics as it tells me I need to focus on marketing my magazine to the correct audience and give them something unique to get them back into buying magazines rather than using technology such as the internet and iphones.
My magazine, Indiependence, will appeal to individuals in the ABC1 social grade as they are likely to have an interest in indie music, as well as being able to afford the magazine on a weekly basis. There is a lot of pressure on individuals to conform to the way that other people think, especially between the ages of 15-25 as a majority of the target audience will attend a high school, college or university. Through having a desire to fit in and be liked, people are likely to conform to how their friends think. Indiependence is a way for them to almost escape from this conformist world, and focus on something that they truly like themselves.
The target audience is both male and female because they will both be interested in the genre of music. However I realised that boys are usually more likely to buy music magazines, so I decided I should include feature to appeal to a more female artists to make sure I appeal to both genders have done this by making the main article about a female, Beth George, this way females have somebody they can relate to and can take inspiration from. The types of people that will read my magazine are Aspirers and Individualists because they would have an interest or a passion in music and are likely to stand out from the crowd rather than blending in with the majority.
I found that the problems with genres of music, is that it leads to stereotypes, this often leads to people conforming to what the majority like rather than being an individual. For example, a person who listens to rock music is stereotyped as being depressed and walking around being very pessimistic and wearing all black. Also a person who listens to Hip Hop or R&B is a 'Gangster', wears tracksuits and wants to be the next rapper. I think that stereotypes give a wrong impression of people, and it can have a negative effect on the magazine industry. I have tried to avoid this by promoting each individual of my magazine positively. Although my magazine is an Indie/Rock magazine, I have included artist from other genres as well so that it can also appeal to a wider audience and to avoid stereotypes from having a negative effect. I have included artists from the like Jessie J, Coldplay, Nirvana, Pendulum and Florence and the Machine. This is a mixture of both artists and genre which will appeal to a wider section of people, although the main focus is of course indie/rock.
After all my research into target audiences, I tried to incorporate relevant aspects of the genre into my magazine. I also incorporated an aspect of the Rock genre into my magazine, due to both the Indie and Rock genre often being confused with one another. Starting with my model, I dressed her in outfits for our three photo shoots. In the first photo shoot, she was dressed in black leggings with a black vest top with red lipstick; this gave her a more edgy look which will appeal to the audience who listen to the Rock genre. I also used a variety of props in this shoot, for example a glitter and a mask, to make her seem mysterious. I took inspiration from artists such a Florence and the Machine, as her quirky style appeals to a lot of my target audience. The body language my model use through the first shoot made her appear confident and powerful, as well as devoted to her music, this will appeal to my audience as they will see her as a role model, aspiring to be like her.
No comments:
Post a Comment